Bethlehem Lutheran Church (1859)

212 South Broad Street

Historical Background

This church was originally dedicated in 1859, but the ministry was begun in 1854. A harness maker, Frederick Siebert, organized many of his fellow, local German immigrants to form a Lutheran congregation and was one of the founding signers of the 1854 constitution that created The Evangelical Lutheran Congregation of Middletown. In July 2004, Bethlehem Lutheran Church celebrated 150 years of organization as a major ministry of the greater Middletown area. The church's exterior has seven Lutheran symbols carved over the tower entrance. In the sanctuary, the seven beautiful stained glass windows are in the form of a cross.