First Methodist Church (1890)

120 South Broad Street

Historic Background

The cornerstone of the church was laid on May 3, 1890. The stone came from a small quarry near Rockdale and the sandstone trim from a quarry near Cleveland. Samuel Hannaford & Sons, famous for the design of Music Hall in Cincinnati, were the architects. The windows, designed by George A. Misch, memorialize many of the pioneer members, pastors and elders of the church. One window in the southeast corner of the sanctuary is in memory of James Grimes, the founder of Middletown Methodism.