The Pickwick Building

56 South Main Street

Historical Background

Built in 1836 this is the second oldest commercial building in Middletown. Over its 166-year history the building has had many uses. Starting out as a stage coach stop and tavern, the building later served as a doctor's office, business office, a private residence and, more recently, law offices. It now serves as the home of the Middletown Historical Society and houses museum displays, historical archives and the business offices of the Society.