Daniel McCallay and his brother-in-law, Capt. Robert Wilson, were in the tobacco business together. In 1877 McCallay bought an interest in the business, which became The Wilson & McCallay Tobacco Company. He was born in 1839 and owned the house at 228 South Main Street. This house remained in the family for over 100 years until the death in 1971 of grandson, Louis McCallay.